Given the choice, most of us would prefer to age at home, where we feel most comfortable and secure. In fact, the fear of losing their independence is often the number one concern of older adults.
As people age or deal with a chronic illness, simple tasks such as housekeeping, cooking and shopping can become difficult, and personal care including personal hygiene, toileting, and dressing can be impossible.
Whether assistance is needed just a few hours a week or 24/7, when provided with the support they need, most older adults can live safely in their own homes and not have to move to a facility.
The key to maintaining independent living is to being able to recognize the signs that a loved one may need help and then getting the right kind of care to support those needs.
These are signs that it may be time to bring in elder care services:
- A history of falls
- Weight loss, diminished appetite or willingness to prepare meals, or spoiled food in the refrigerator
- Problems with walking or balance, getting up or down, or transferring in and out of bed
- Diminished driving skills or recent car accidents
- Changes in personal grooming or hygiene such as uncombed hair, body odor, infrequent bathing or shaving, or wearing unclean or stained clothing
- Not remembering to take medication or get prescriptions refilled, difficulty managing multiple prescriptions
- The home has become cluttered or unclean
- Paperwork is piling up or bills are not being paid
- A loss of interest in socializing or in activities that were once enjoyed
- Confusion, memory loss, difficulty concentrating and changes in personality may be signs of dementia or Alzheimer's disease
If you recognize any of these signs in a loved one, ComForcare can help. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We would be happy to sit down with you and your loved one to discuss your needs and goals and how our services can help. We can meet in your home, the home of your loved one or at our office at a time that is convenient for you.
There are questions you should always ask when talking with home care providers to ensure that the agency you hire is qualified to provide the care you deserve. Click here for a list of these questions.
If you decide in-home care is right for you, we will provide an in-home nurse assessment of you or your loved one's current condition and needs and create a customized care plan that will be followed by our professional ComForcare caregivers.Top of Page